Rochester Audit Manager
Audit Manager Job Description
This position is responsible for managing client assignments and projects, delivering high quality of service; coaching, advising and supporting team members. Responsibilities include, but not limited to, leading and managing multiple audit engagements and staff deliverables which include reviewing the preparation of compiled, reviewed, and audited financial statements; reviewing complex accounting planning projections; and contributing to business and staff development. Prioritizes workflows and manages multiple deadlines and provides leadership and training for senior, staff, and entry level accountants and interns. Works efficiently and demonstrates flexibility to changes in schedules and work hours and regularly exercises independent judgment and discretion about accounting matters of significance.
- Assists with business development including meeting with prospective clients, preparing quotes and proposals and evaluating client needs.
- Develops, builds and manages prospective and existing client relationships, and is involved in professional and community activities.
- Participates in firm-wide marketing initiatives and efforts.
- Communicates effectively with existing clients, colleagues and management.
- Leads the decision-making process for assigned engagements/clients, keeps the Engagement Principal fully informed of major decisions, engagement progress, and the client’s situation and potential problems.
- Delegates or supervises preparation of the engagement letter for approval by the Engagement Principal, discusses the nature and terms of the assignment with the client, estimate fees, and ensures client signs and returns the engagement letter prior to the start of the engagement.
- Evaluates internal controls and audit programs prepared by staff, revises as necessary and presents to the Engagement Principal for approval.
- Prepares and reviews compilation, review, and audit engagements.
- Prepares internal memorandums, written correspondences and guidance, and other documents for clients.
- Reviews staff assignments as the job progresses to determine whether all phases of the engagement are being carried out properly and in the best sequence.
- Supervises the preparation of management letters, report drafts, and tax returns, follows drafts through processing, answers questions which arise, and submits reports to the Engagement Principal for final approval, and to the client for final distribution.
- Follows the engagement progress through monitoring time budgets and deadlines for adherence, communicates important developments to the Engagement Principal along with facts, conclusions and recommendations, provide ongoing attention to client’s management, and prepares final client meetings.
- Develops a responsible and trained staff through assistance in recruiting, planning assignments, and resolving problems.
- Provides direct consultation to staff, evaluates staff performance, and acts as an instructor or discussion leader in professional development programs.
- Understands and effectively uses current tax and accounting software applications when completing engagements.
- Associate degree in Accounting/Finance or related field.
- 4 years of similar audit experience.
- Strong technical, analytical and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of organization, focus, exceptional attention to detail.
- 5 plus years of audit or similar experience in a CPA firm.
- Experience building and managing prospective and existing client relationships.
- CPA exam passed, and license is active.
- Experience with ProSystems engagement software, SMART Practice Aids, and QuickBooks.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, stand or sit for extended periods of time, as well as type/enter data at a keyboard regularly
Benefits to the Accountant
Smith Schafer is an established, growing, full-service CPA firm that provides the highest level of professional accounting services to our clients. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a smaller environment with the industry experience and knowledge of a large firm. Competitive salary and benefits package based on education and experience including 401k match.
Smith Schafer has consistently earned a spot on the Star Tribune’s Minnesota Top Workplace list and it is our goal to continue to hire the most talented individuals who will make a positive impact on our clients and contribute to the success of our firm.
We offer competitive compensation, opportunities for professional development, flexible schedule options to allow for a work/life balance, and much more. Click to learn more about our benefits.
Please submit a cover letter/resume to [email protected] or complete an online application.
Smith Schafer is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Job Category||Full Time|