Great Work Environment!
Tax Manager Job Summary:
Smith Schafer is currently seeking an experienced Tax Manager with an emphasis in Trusts, Estates, Gift and Complex individuals to join our team. This individual will have the opportunity to lead and manage multiple tax engagements and staff deliverables by preparing complex individual, trust and estate returns and business tax returns, reviewing financial statements and tax planning projections besides researching complex technical tax issues. Our managers hire, train, and manage accountants and provide input on important operational decisions. Besides delivering high quality service to our clients, our managers help lead the firm in meeting the Tax Department’s goals and initiatives. They will grow in their career by building client relationships, managing client projects and supporting business development efforts.
Key Responsibilities for Tax Manager – Trust/Estate:
- Assists with business development efforts by meeting with prospective clients, preparing quotes and proposals, and evaluating client needs.
- Develops, builds, and manages prospective and existing client relationships.
- Be involved in professional and community activities and participate in firm-wide marketing initiatives and efforts.
- Communicates effectively with existing clients, colleagues, management, and IRS representatives regarding a variety of tax matters.
- Provides and supports employee training for new hires and existing staff, which includes reviewing and evaluating their work and providing leadership and training for senior and staff accountants and seasonal interns.
- Reviews individual, trust, estate, and business tax returns and assists with tax planning.
- Needs to review and understand the various financial documents and statements from clients.
- Prepares client billings in a timely manner and follows-up with clients regarding unpaid invoices.
- Handles sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Prepares internal memoranda, written correspondence/guidance, private letter rulings and other documents for submission to the IRS or Treasury Department.
- Works effectively in a team environment with principals, managers, and staff.
- Associate degree in Accounting/Finance or related field.
- 4 years of similar tax and accounting experience in a financial family business or trust company.
- Strong technical, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of prioritization and exceptional attention to detail.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting/Finance or related field.
- 4 plus years of similar tax and accounting experience in a CPA firm.
- Experience with ProSystems Tax Preparation software and QuickBooks.
- CPA exam passed and license is active, or actively working toward passing CPA exam.
- Customer-service oriented, demonstrated by the following attributes: proactive, observant, knowledgeable, and reliable.
Benefits to The Tax Manager
Smith Schafer is an established, growing, full-service CPA firm that provides the highest level of professional accounting services to our clients. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a smaller environment with the industry experience and knowledge of a large firm. Competitive salary and benefits package based on education and experience including 401k match.
Smith Schafer has consistently earned a spot on the Star Tribune’s Minnesota Top Workplace list and it is our goal to continue to hire the most talented individuals who will make a positive impact on our clients and contribute to the success of our firm.
We offer competitive compensation, opportunities for professional development, flexible schedule options to allow for a work/life balance, and much more. Click to learn more about our benefits.
Please submit a cover letter/resume to [email protected] or complete an online application.
Smith Schafer is an Equal Opportunity Employer.