Smith Schafer and Associates, Ltd., a multi-office accounting and consulting firm, has an opening for a Tax Manager to join our firm in our Twin Cities branch. This position is responsible for managing client assignments and projects, delivering a high quality of service; coaching, advising, and supporting team members in meeting client and self-development expectations. This position is responsible for leading and managing multiple tax engagements and staff deliverables including the preparation of complex individual and business tax returns, extensions, reviewing compiled financial statements, reviewing tax planning projections, and researching complex technical tax issues. This person will provide support to senior, staff and entry-level accountants, and other managers and principals. Will contribute to business development by working with the firm marketing manager. He/she prioritizes workflows and manages multiple deadlines within required time constraints.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Assists with business development by seeking out and meeting with prospective clients.
- Prepares quotes and proposals and evaluates client needs, which includes developing, building, and managing prospective and existing client relationships.
- Involved in professional and community activities.
- Participates in firm-wide marketing initiatives and efforts.
- Communicates effectively with existing clients, colleagues, management, and IRS representatives regarding a variety of tax matters.
- Provides support employee training for new hires and existing staff, including reviewing and evaluating their work and providing leadership and training for senior, staff, and entry-level accountants and seasonal interns.
- Reviews individual and business tax returns, assist with tax planning, and review compiled financial statements.
- Prepares internal memoranda, written correspondence/guidance, private letter rulings, and other documents for submission to the IRS or Treasury Department.
- Works effectively in a team environment with principals, managers, and staff.
- Understands and effectively uses current tax and accounting software applications when completing engagements.
- BA/BS in accounting or related field.
- 5 Years of tax accounting experience.
- CPA exam passed and license is active.
- Experience building and managing prospective and existing client relationships.
- 7 years of experience in a CPA firm, preferred.
- Experience with ProSystems tax preparation software and QuickBooks a plus.
- Strong technical, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of organization, focus, exceptional attention to detail.
- Apply independent thought process when working on special projects
- Prioritize workflow and manage multiple deadlines within required time constraints
- Work efficiently and have the flexibility to changes in schedule and work hours
- Handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Perform effectively in a team environment with all levels of client personnel supporting various industries
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, stand or sit for extended periods of time, as well as type/enter data at a keyboard regularly.
Benefits to the Accountant
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a smaller environment with the industry experience and knowledge of a large firm. Competitive salary and benefits package based on education and experience including 401k match.
As a recent recipient of the Best Places to Work in Southeast Minnesota, it is our goal at Smith Schafer to continue to hire the most talented individuals who will make a positive impact on our clients and contribute to the success of our Firm. Smith Schafer offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter/resume to [email protected] or complete the webform.
|Job Category||Full Time|