learn a little about John Edson…
Talk To John
John W. Edson, CPA/ABV/CFF, CMA, CVA
Tax & Business Valuation Principal | Twin Cities Office
- Business valuations
- Business tax planning & consulting
- Audit & attest
- Estate planning
- Succession planning
How John got here
- Bachelor of Accounting from the University of Minnesota
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants Public Service Award – 2010
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants Distinguish Service Award – 2012
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants Board of Directors 2000 – 2007, Chair 2005 – 2006
- BPKZ Shareholder from 1986 – 2016
President from 2014 – 2016 BPKZ
- Joined the Smith Schafer Twin Cities practice with the merger of BPKZ in January 2017
- American Council of Engineering Companies
- Chairman of the Board of SPEDCO, an SBA Certified Development Company
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts
- TwinWest Chamber of Commerce
- Vice chairman for International Mission of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod
How John approaches work
“I cannot imagine doing anything else. Working with closely held businesses and their owners to increase their wealth is exciting. I enjoy seeing a business start, progress through its life cycle and return benefits to the owners.”
Related Blog Posts
The IRS issued Revenue Ruling 2020-27 on November 18th, formally denying the ability to deduct expenses related to PPP forgiveness. In the ruling, the IRS clarified the deduction for PPP expenditures is denied in the period the expenses were incurred (2020), even if the taxpayer waits until 2021 to apply for forgiveness.
Minnesota passed a bipartisan tax and bonding bill recently that included full conformity for all Section 179 expensing for tax years beginning in 2020. Additionally, the bill included retroactive Section 179 conformity to 2018 for assets acquired in a like-kind exchange.
Tax planning is a vital component of a successful business. A tax plan should be a component of your overall financial goals.
Stay-in tune with current business, industry, accounting and tax news.