learn a little about
- American Council of Engineering Companies
- Chairman of the Board of SPEDCO, an SBA Certified Development Company
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts
- TwinWest Chamber of Commerce
- Vice chairman for International Mission of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod
How John got here
- Bachelor of Accounting from the University of Minnesota
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants Public Service Award – 2010
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants Distinguish Service Award – 2012
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants Board of Directors 2000 – 2007, Chair 2005 – 2006
- BPKZ Shareholder from 1986 – 2016
President from 2014 – 2016 BPKZ
- Joined the Smith Schafer Minneapolis practice with the merger of BPKZ in January 2017
How John approaches work
“I cannot imagine doing anything else. Working with closely held businesses and their owners to increase their wealth is exciting. I enjoy seeing a business start, progress through its life cycle and return benefits to the owners.”
Talk to John
Related Service Resources
Many business owners offer a 401k plan to their employees. It is a great way to help employees save for retirement, and it allows the owner to contribute to their account as well. It can also be an attractive benefit for hiring and retaining employees in the current market.
Sales and use taxes can be the most complicated tax obligations for many businesses. Generally, local sales tax should be charged to customers on all sales made in a local taxing area unless the customer provides an exemption certificate.
Succession is inevitable in a business. When the time comes to start thinking about retiring and/or transferring ownership, it is essential to understand common issues related to the process.